Sunday, February 22, 2015

Microsoft wired keyboard 200 USB problem

Last week I got a new Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 for Business - Black to replace my old PS/2 one in windows 8.1 64 bit . As soon as I installed it  I observed strange behavior.
After some seconds the leds would turn off and it would become unresponsive until the third or fourth keystroke. For example if I typed "microsoft"  then "crosoft"  would appear on screen.
Also if I kept a key pressed for more than a few seconds when playing games for example the PC would make a strange noise and keep that key stuck.
This behavior was irritating and made using the PC impossible. 
Fortunately a solution was found. And ironically it was not a problem after all it was a feature.
It turns out that the keyboard is set to go to sleep after some seconds by default in order to save power. Genius!
So in order to undo this madness I had to turn off all kind of arcane settings in windows control panel.
Go to control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> USB Keyboard ->Hardware tab->select usb input device -> properties->change settings->Power management tab->unselect Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power -> Ok
Here is a video showing these steps


And the problem was solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment